I remember being in University, living alone for the first time, and getting to shop for myself. I'd go up and down the aisles of the grocery store, buying Smarties ice cream for breakfast and microwavable dinners to take to school for my lunch breaks (and you wonder why I ended up with food allergies 😜).
One of my favourite things was the cleaning aisle, with it's dozens of different Glade candles and their delicious Tropical Getaway and Triple Berry scents. Real adults cook a lovely meal at home and light a wonderful smelly candle while they're studying for an exam, right?
Well, if I would have know what a chemical soup those candles were, I would have learned how to make DIY natural air fresheners years ago!
Now that I'm really a grown-up and am in charge of another human (my son, not my husband), I eat whole foods that are healthy, try and get off my butt every one in awhile and move my body, and use natural remedies for our everyday issues like colds, coughs, and pain.
I stopped using artificially scented air fresheners and candles almost 10 years ago when I went to nutrition school, but never really got into teaching my clients not to use them since I figured they didn't make that much of a difference in overall health. I'm a holistic nutritionist, after all, so changing their diet was always my primary focus.
Well, a few weeks while I was writing some emails, I was in the middle of writing the following line "not much scientific research has been done on artificial scents and fragrances, but I think we can all agree that they're not very good for us" when it occurred to me that I should *actually* try looking up any research.
Turns out, artificial air fresheners and candles are a scientifically verified chemical shit storm with the research to back it up.
I had no idea. No idea what toxic side effects a scented plug-in, candle, or wax warmer was having on households everyday.
What sort of toxic side effects? Let's take a look at the research, shall we?